View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
DeliveryGuy89
The Delivery Guy

The Hulk - '96 Subaru Legacy Outback
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)

White Lightning - '12 Chevrolet Volt Gen1
Boat Tail on a hatchback?

How exactly does one go about doing this?

I drive a 96 Subaru - I have my reasons, no I am not willing to change cars. If you must know what those reasons are, it's that there's a risk of snow 7-8 months out of the year here, the AWD and winter tire combo is invaluable - it's easy AF to work on, the parts and repairs are cheap and, there's a ton of deer here. I hit a deer doing 75 mph a few weeks ago, the deer exploded, and I ended up with nothing more than a cracked bumper and a dented hood.

There's also Elk here. For those of you whom have never seen an elk in person, just picture a deer the size of a horse.

There's also the occasional moose. For those of you that have never seen a moose in person, just imagine driving down the road and hitting something roughly the shape and size of a Clydesdale horse, but about 500 lbs heavier and that's without the antlers.

(They're about the size of a Suburban)

We also have Bison that will occasionally wander across a lonesome highway in the night. If you've never seen a bison, combine a cow and a horse, and give it steroids and a really bad attitude. It will proceed to stomp you, and your car, after you hit it, while you lie bleeding on the side of the road.

The Wild West is a dangerous place for a Prius. <- I might put that in my Signature, haha.

I've seen again and again that a boat tail is by far the best MPG improvement you can put on a car, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I'd put it on a car such as mine. Is there a way to do it without rewiring the entire rear electrical array? Should I remove my entire hatch and save the extra weight, just installing the lights at the end of the tail? Or can I go around it and create grooves that my lights would still be visible? What do most modders make it from?

Last edited by DeliveryGuy89; 12-19-2018 at 04:14 PM..