View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,800 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryGuy89 View Post
I've seen again and again that a boat tail is by far the best MPG improvement you can put on a car, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I'd put it on a car such as mine. Is there a way to do it without rewiring the entire rear electrical array? Should I remove my entire hatch and save the extra weight, just installing the lights at the end of the tail? Or can I go around it and create grooves that my lights would still be visible? What do most modders make it from?
There are a number of ways you can do it. My most recent tail was a foamboard/fiberglass composite, spaced out on a cargo box hitch mount so I could still open the hatch:

It turned out the x-braces were completely unnecessary. The lights were plugged into a trailer light harness wired to the stock lights. According to the people behind me at the GGP, they were obnoxiously bright.

Before that, I had a coroplast tail I threw together on a Friday afternoon before driving to Connecticut:

Both of these designs retained visibility of the stock lights.

I'm building the next version now out of acrylic attached to the hatch itself, so it will open with it. It will be a 3/4 design, open on the bottom.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-19-2018), BamZipPow (12-26-2018), DeliveryGuy89 (12-19-2018), rumdog (12-20-2018)