View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
You can actually accomplish a lot of this yourself. I've seen a guy control his epas through an arduino board through the comma ai unit with its camera's, sensors, and gps. He made a electric motor mount to control his hydraulic steering shaft and low and behold it did it. it was funny hearing the servo react to steering inputs though, but nonetheless. This isn't as necessary now with newer cars though as most already have EPAS and just lack the radar plate for distance control. Which brings me to the next point where they guy rigged up a radar plate to some relays which controlled the cruise control to maintain a follow distance of 1.8 seconds behind the car in front, and target speed was the speed limit if no obstacles were detected.
But the city aspect is the monster. We are actually working on it as a research project right now. Basically a neural network, and taking data from the cameras to detect obstactles irl as fast and accurately as possible. We'll see what happens... haha
I'm a mech e student with a serious lack of I T coding experience.

I'll try and tag the videos. One of the guys actually reached out to me on a forum after we had talk about his video. Crazy how small the world is now with the internet. Also, what is crazy is a year ago when I looked at all of this there wasn't many results or hits, but now youtube is flooded with videos on this topic and diy'ers.