View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #87 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Hello all,

The i3 REX purportedly gets about 35+mpg on gasoline after the initial battery charge drops below the threshold, and can maintain 70mph on average interstates without dropping below the "reduced power mode" threshold, in "comfort" mode. Here's an example of a winter trip at 15F: The Electric BMW i3: 462 Mile REx Road Trip: New Jersey to Vermont

Here's a nice FAQ about the i3 REX: https://www.plugincars.com/8-key-que...ar-129816.html

Maybe something like the REX is more of a "battery degradation anxiety/change in driving needs abatement device". As the vehicle/battery ages, the SOC drops faster per mile, and the REX kicks on sooner. If you get a new job that is 100 miles away, you use more gas per day. In either case, you eventually add up the costs and either shorten the distance between home and job, trade the vehicle in for one that meets your needs better, or (if age is the issue) replace the battery pack with a newer, probably better tech/range one.

Only has a 1.9 gallon tank, so expect to fill up every ~60 miles after the REX kicks on. That's not exactly ideal if you are going on a 400+ mile road trip, but at least you'll be getting up and stretching your legs regularly.

One other thing to think of: If you rent, you will always have a car that is less than 3 years old, and thus has the latest emissions tech. Any DIY system will probably out-pollute such a scheme by quite a bit, unless you get a used REX and figure out how to use that.

Hmm. Quick search on Carfax finds a 2014 i3 with REX 145 miles from me for $15614, with only 14,176 miles on it. Going for unlimited distance, I can save about $1000, but mileage goes up to the 25-50k range. So it seems some people are using the REX, and others really aren't. A 2013 Leaf with ~25-45k miles on it is about half that price, or I can get a 2015 Leaf with ~25-30k miles on it for about the same price. The numbers suggest I should check with my insurance company and bank to see if it would be cheaper for me to drive a Leaf most of the time and have a rarely-used second vehicle for longer drives - even including car payments and installing a 240V outlet and charger. If I could buy a used electric or PHEV Jeep Wrangler for similar prices to used Leafs or i3 REX I'd get it. PHEV Wrangler is slated for 2020, but that'll be $40-50k most likely, and a decade+ to drop under $10k used - way too much money for what I'll mostly just commute in. Need to do the math on a PHEV Chrysler Pacifica vs. a mid-range optioned plain one, planning on keeping for 10+ years - wife's 2007 Mazda 5 is getting to the "nearly the worth of the vehicle in repairs" point, is louder, is rusting, etc.