View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Since you said miles per gallon, I'm assuming plug-in hybrids and electric cars do not count.

In that case the Gen 1 Honda Insight manual transmission would take the cake. It has one of the lowest drag-coefficients of any modern car, along with one of the most efficient engines. I have observed 70-80 MPG cruising at 65 MPH on the highway, if the wind isn't against me, in 40 F degree weather.

If you take into consideration plug-in hybrids and electric cars, then we're talking about miles per dollar, which is an entirely different scenario, since electricity costs are not directly related to gasoline costs in every area.
That's what I was wondering for an G1 Insight. But sounds like a bone stock diesel Cruze will do close. I suppose nobody is modding them up much yet being under warranty and all. EPA says the 2018 manual is 52 mpg highway vs the Insight at 59 mpg (under the current test, not the old test in the 2000's) Diesels often beat the EPA test though while the hybrids are optimized for it (or the test is optimized for hybrids). Then the problem now is diesel here is $3.09 a gallon and regular is $2.58/gal so a bunch of that would be lost in cost per mile.

Nothing beats the pure electric in cost per mile as pointed out especially here as we have about $0.06 per Kwh electricity. Just the range doesn't make them a good Montana highway car.