View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I moved from the Phoenix area for a job. I had problems with Chorizo overheating, but did not figure out what it was, although I had a bad heater core, so I bypassed it. After I moved I realized that my radiator was cracked, but I was looking for a second job, and living near the Utah border, living at 5,300 feet, and only driving 1.4 miles each way to work, so I did not worry about it.

I then moved to Show Low, which is another thousand feet higher, and colder. I spent four hours shoveling snow today. However, I almost always drive further than 1.4 miles. I believe that it was April that I was driving seven miles to get CPR training so that I could start my current job. My car started overheating, I forgot that the radiator was cracked, and I pulled over to let it cool down, but I did not want to delay starting my new job, so I pushed on to the fire station, propped the hood open, took my class, and needed to wait a while to start working.

I blew the head gasket.

That would have been the perfect time to complete a large project, except that I was living off of my credit card until my new job started. Had I realized that it would take two months, I would have started applying to places like Subway immediately. I went to a temp agency, but they had classes on digging ditches, and the only jobs they had were further than the Phoenix area.

I bought the head gasket kit and went through the factory service manual and put together all of the directions for disassembly. I figure that I can put together the reassembly directions while I wait on the machine shop.

The problem is that it is now winter and while I live in Arizona, but it actually gets cold here, and we had over a foot of snow in the last couple of months.

We have not really had space to park in the two-car garage for months. I will try to make room before we go on trips because Mom does not want the neighbors seeing us load the car, but her 2008 Camry barely fit with all of her stuff.

I got a storage locker a few weeks ago and starting moving things into that. However, I have been trying to figure out how to maximize the space in my room, so I replaced my full mattress with a Tuft and Needle twin XL. I want a loft bed, so I can build a desk underneath, and do schoolwork in my room, but despite people insisting that major websites carry twin XL loft beds, I cannot find one for less than $800, and it does not seem worthwhile.

I have been trying to finish another project in the garage for two weeks, but everything should be good to go in the morning. Then I will move that out of the garage, and my Civic in.

I should probably brush the snow off of it again, as well as Mom's car, and shovel a path for each.