View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
moorecomp
Master EcoModder

Joe,

As you found out by Googling, the intake modification entails cutting the lower air intake box around the air filter so better airflow is obtained. I also removed the lower resonator completely (save any weight we can - right?). The upper resonator caused restriction also, so instead of removing it and putting in a piece of pipe as most people do, I simply cut off the box on the side of the inlet tube and covered the opening with an external reinforcement, aluminum duct tape and black duct tape over that. I keep an eye on it and it has not had any issues so far. The knock sensor on the 98 and 99 model ZETEC engines was prone to falsely detecting knock and would retard the timing when it should not. It is simply disconnected and the ECM does not care and does not put up any CEL. When I performed the Keman mod, I could really tell the difference on the bottom end of the rpm range. Seemed like it could pull much better (breath better). The Knocker mod smoothed out things and stopped a lot of the hesitations I would experience. I am very happy with the ZX2 so far. Fun little car.

Best regards,