View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_a_t_t View Post
Do you mean why is no one putting new transmissions in older cars? or why don't car manufacturers do it?

It sounds good initally, but the cost for the average ecomodder, let alone "average" person, wouldn't make sense for gas savings. The transmission would probably be 300+, then an aftermarket controller to control it would probably double the cost. Not to mention any changes needed outside the transmission swap like driveshaft, mount, etc.
I mean why are they NOT doing this set up, a 6/8 speed tranny with low rear end gears like I an thinking of doing.

Well I have figured on about $800.00 to $1000.00 for the transmission, and $300.00 for the controller for the Crown Vic, and for my 93 Van about the same for a 8L90 and controller.

BUT As I plan on keeping my 03 P71 Crown Vic and 93 Chevy large Van until I die, and as I am customizing each to what I want in a car and van it is a LOT cheaper than buying a replacement car/van, and with low cost repairs a lot cheaper to keep.

In fact the only fly in the ointment is the bad MPG each gets, all the rest I love in each.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 01-04-2019 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: More complete answer.