View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I can't find a source for this but I recall reading that the 8-speed box generally skips 1st gear entirely, and also may skip other gears in normal shifting. The Vette does get fantastic economy for what it is, though.

That seems silly but on the other hand makes sense, on my 2000 Mercury and my 03 Crown Vic if I put it into second, it takes off in that gear. That is to allow a easy take off in snow and ice, it works quite nicely.

Why use a gear if you driving softly?? And skipping a gear also make sense I know a lot of stick shift users will often skip gears once they reach their intended speed. Especially in city driving.

As I understand it that may very well be how they work, luckily there is a sport mode which allows you to use every gear.

I figure I will be driving in that mode, which again as I understand them will shift all gears or I will have to manually shift by paddles or just buttons.

On my Ford the plan is to put in the steering wheel switch for a radio volume control and use it instead to shift up and down as the shift controls.

On the van I will have to figure out something.

Perhaps an aftermarket add on cruse control switches mounted on top of my shift lever...allowing me to change modes and to control the gears. After all a switch is a switch....

OR most likely the controller will include a control box.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 01-05-2019 at 08:54 AM..