View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #93 (permalink)
hotshoetom
EcoModding Lurker

WRXish - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon 5spd

STIlsh - '09 Subaru WRX Base Sedan

WRXish2 - '07 subaru legacy wagon 2.5 i
2019 brings changes...

Its been a while since I have visited the forum...ongoing projects continue...one has been cancelled permanently. The 17 BRZ has been sold due to economic reasons. Just couldnt justify the insurance, personal property tax, and depreciation cost after roughly a year I was so far in the hole it was better to cut my losses and walk away. Car insurance rates are up this year and eliminating one vehicle from the stable made good sense. So I have one less monthly payment, and a lower insurance bill and less depreciation loss. Everything I own now is 10 model years old or older...and I think I like it. Nothing except the motorcycle will break 30 mpg except under perfect conditions and I am ok with that too. I hope at some point to have a total electric car for local driving but that is at least a decade away.

My 91 subaru wagon has a new engine but has a starting problem I cant figure out. some kind of electrical issue that is preventing the ignition system to get its 12v signal. Been chasing that problem for over 6 months, including replacing suspect parts and ohming out wiring harnesses. So far no luck. Its an exasperating problem. If anyone has experience with no start problems with these cars I would welcome your assistance.

My 2007 subaru wagon is doing fairly well, currently returning about an average of 27 mpg in mixed driving (its an automatic 2.5 SOHC) which is fairly good for the year and model. Would love to come up with a way to cheat the factory torque converter lockup protocol so I can maintain lockup when desired. As it is, almost any throttle application at speeds below 50 mph results in lockup dropping out. Anyone who has any ideas on how to accomplish this I would be appreciative. Slated for spring of the year is a suspension upgrade to improve handling and replace the worn out (125k) factory shocks with slightly stiffer springs and shocks valved correctly for those springs. Should make for a much better handling car without having to do much else.

My 2009 WRX is still the thirsty little wench it always has been, gobbling premium fuel at a somewhat alarming rate with spirited driving. In spite of minor gearing changes with slightly taller tires and an aftermarket e-tune applied, about the best mileage I get with it on the highway is upper 20s and low to mid 20s in town. Still, it is quite rewarding and fun to drive and is in great shape due to its relatively low mileage (around 55k miles). This year it gets major timing belt service and brake system flush and hopefully that will get it prepared for another several years of trouble free service.

Thats all the news thats fit to print from Central VA Subaru Skunkworks lol. I hope all here had a pleasant and peaceful holiday season and their health is good.