View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That might be the average, but there is certainly tons of room for improvement for the frugal.

Most people concentrate their thinking almost entirely on the income side to deal with their financial problems, and give little thought to the expense side of the equation.
Very true. I too don't spend near average and am able to be a sole provider for my family with a part time job while still not living off of any welfare. And I owe that to holding a tight budget, instead of trying to work two jobs and insisting that my wife does the same.

But one thing is for sure. Housing is increasing much faster than wages and jobs are. Especially here where I live. Studios used to be $400 just a couple years ago, now most are over $1,000. One and two bedroom apartments used to be $600 to $800, and are now $1,400 and up. Less than 5 years ago my parents bought a decent two bedroom house for $60,000. Now you can't find a vacant lot for under $150,000, if that. I'm seeing houses for $400,000 and up! I bought my trailer for $500 less than a decade ago. Now the trailer next to me is up for sale for $150,000.

It's rather sickening and does have me a bit scared. Once my landlord kicks the bucket and her children get their hands on the lot I rent I'm not sure what will happen to my situation. Maybe it's time to sell and go somewhere else. But I have too many ties to this place to leave just yet, if ever. But if push comes to shove, either I'll have to move to another part of the country or make my Avalon into a camper car.