View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
It is getting a service next week before my next trip. The next trip is to a track that is 2 hours closer, so only 8 hours in the truck instead of 12.5 (also no detour to parents). Apparently one of the rear brakes is stuck so it is probably rubbing and it will be getting an oil change. I'll see if it needs an air filter, but i think that is newish.

What are the throttle tips for deisel driving? I can't possibly drive with my foot in one position to slow down uphill and speed up downhill... the slightest grade in the road requires added throttle just to maintain top gear when i've been maintaining 80 and i barely speed up on the downhills because not adding throttle means the engine won't spin up much and the locked TC causes engine braking.

What I've been doign is gradually getting into the throttle for accel, staying "just ahead of the engine"... ie, i don't floor it from a stop, i give it a little more gas than it needs to stay steady. I let the speed come WAY down for hills without letting it downshift.