View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #4474 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
-Invest in a lot more scientific research in solar power, batteries, lightweight compounds, alternatives to reduce energy consume, educational campaign about reduce consume.
Corporations already have a ton of motivation to develop better technologies. A government funded research program isn't likely to significantly improve the rate of technological progress. There's no guarantee that more research funding can significantly improve solar, battery, or other materials technology. I'm not completely against research subsidy, but it needs to be grounded in specific and worthwhile objectives.

Most problems aren't effectively solved by education because the real issue is cultural. Everyone knows they should "just say no to drugs", yet that educational campaign was an utter failure. Americans all know they shouldn't be overweight, yet they still are. It isn't enough to educate people. There has to be a movement that turns into a social norm that stigmatizes the negative behavior and accepts the positive behavior. Humans are herd-like creatures. Delibritaly steering the herd is tremendously difficult.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-09-2019), sendler (01-09-2019)