View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #67 (permalink)
hotshoetom
EcoModding Lurker

WRXish - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon 5spd

STIlsh - '09 Subaru WRX Base Sedan

WRXish2 - '07 subaru legacy wagon 2.5 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder74 View Post
I may be moving back to the country. I would have 80-100 mile round trip. Last car I had for this was a 1996 SC1 Saturn the averaged 40MPGs and I got 100k miles out of it before I moved closer to work. I now have an NB Miata that is mint and won't be driving it but would love to get another RWD car to mod to get the MPGs.
Thanks,
Grinder/Chris
This depends on the budget of course but really old and no doubt cheap would be an old Chevette...I can hear everyone laughing at that one but they were durable, not much fun, abuse tolerant, parts were/are available...likely easily upgraded with a more modern powerplant from the gm family. Using an old car like that has many advantages including zero depreciation cost, no personal property tax to amount to anything, and a car you can walk away from when it dies with little regrets.

A more upscale choice and a lot more fun would be a Honda S2000. That screaming 2 liter engine is such a sweet piece and in commuter duty it would probably live forever. Dont know how fuel efficient it would be with a careful driver but its worth looking at.

The 4 cyl fieros were good for better than 30 mpg right out of the box and I am sure with some mods could do quite a bit better. Plus they were adequately fun to drive. I had one with the 2.8 6 cyl engine and it was a very fun and quick car to drive. there are still a few of these running around and not terribly pricey to buy.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.