View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
I was talking specifically about your Chevy van, I don't have much experience with ford engines/transmissions. Both transmissions I mentioned will bolt right up to any engine offered in a 1993 Chevy conversion van. The 1991 K2500 Chevy with 5.7/350 TBI I converted from a 4l60 to a NV4500 cost me about $1000 total to convert, used transmission new clutch/flywheel.

It would be drastically less work to put in a period appropriate transmission into that van (like a NV4500) than to try to bolt two transmission together or to hook up an auxiliary overdrive unit. It would be way easier than some new exotic 6 or 8 speed auto. I have converted two 90s model Chevy's from auto to stick, a pickup and a Suburban with a 4l60 and 4l80e respectively. I am sure your Chevy van has one of those transmissions. The correct sensors just bolt right up, everything works fine.

If you want a more complicated project a Tremec 6060 should bolt up to the engine but may require some other custom work to fit.

The THING is I do not want a stick shift. I much perfir automatics.

On a long trip coming into a city and having to drive, look for directions, find the hotel is all I want to handle, having to work a clutch and shift is too much.

As a teenager I switched a 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk from an auto to a 3 speed with overdrive. My next car was a 68 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 4 speed. My Ecnoline Van had a 3 on the Tree.

We have VW Bug with its 4 speed and we had a 86 626 with a 5 speed.

I have driven enough Sticks to know them and myself well.

For fun give me a stick.

For work car or truck (van) give me a auto.

Rich