View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #66 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Wonder how long they'll continue making replacement batteries for the Volt.
JJ
Hopefully they'll make them at least until my battery warranty is up, unless they plan to buy the car from me!

I feel that killing the Volt's battery technology is a mistake. Hopefully they'll at least sell it off instead of just sh*t-canning it and maybe recoup some of the R&D cost.
EVs have their place, but the Volt really is the best of both worlds. I drive mine around 200 miles a week and I rarely if ever use the ICE, but if I need to take it on a 4,000 miles cross-country trip that isn't a problem, I can just get in and drive and still get better gas mileage than most of the cars out there.

EVs tie the owner to a 100-300 mile circle around their current location, and in a lot of cases require the owner to have a second car. Not everybody will be willing to wait at a quick charger to go another 300 miles, and a thousand mile trip would take a lot of planning and patience. But the Volt makes infinite range available to anybody who has an outlet available (technically that's not even required since you don't really have to plug it in). Sad to see it go!