View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #185 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Yea what I'm saying is, why are you going through adding the phaser when the engine already has much more than enough power?

With a camshaft grind, you go higher duration, keep lift the same with shallower ramp, then set the cam so it opens at the same time as stock, and keep all the cam timing tables the same. That keeps overlap the same, and makes the valves close later. On a cable throttle engine, the cam has to react to the load, so it usually doesn't move all that much, and even if the cam timing isn't optimal, you just lose a little torque.

If it were me I would try to keep the tuning as simple as possible, since introducing lean burn already complicates the spark timing and fueling, as the optimal amount of spark advance is probably greater than what you find in the performance tunes on the internet, and you'll need to empirically determine how lean the engine can go at different loads and speeds. My method would be keep the overlap stock so you don't need to deal with weird combustion instability or affecting internal EGR in a way you can't measure, play around with retarding the intake cam more if possible, and if you want more results, regrind the cam (I think it's only 200 bucks?).

Last edited by serialk11r; 01-20-2019 at 01:06 AM..