View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I have the man trans in a CTD Dodge (signature). 5+1 forward versus the 3+1 of the 2004 auto.

Once the 4+2 auto became available (2006?), the “advantage” of a manual dropped way off. (It’s big selling point had always been higher reliability; like that engine, rated for 35k gross vehicles; thus greater tow rating).

The mating of a CTD and a manual is a marriage made-in-heaven: massive TQ (1400-rpm peak) off the line with fuel delivery that keeps engine from stalling. Never really have to rev the engine (2900-rpm redline & HP peak) unless loaded AND on a grade.

But,

1). The man trans is slower to speed. Always.

2). The auto features TWO overdrive gears, thus is at a lower engine rpm for a given set of light-load conditions on highway.

3). The auto trucks have final drive gear-ratio advantages. The engine displacement and power have been increased sustantially since mine, thus the current configuration turns fewer RPMs at 70 than I do at 58.

For several years now Dodge has ALSO offered an XHD automatic.

It may be “easier” to get higher MPG with a manual, but one is thoroughly out-of-sync with other traffic while so doing.

That last is the tipping point. It is my God-given American right to phone text at any moment and under any circumstances. . Dodge caved to the latest USSC rulings, essentially admitting itself wrong in believing a tee-nine-cy amount of IQ was required in order to safely operate a motor vehicle.

OTOH, having a manual means effective anti-theft is built-in. And the vehicle is without a VERY complex hydraulic system with potential heat-related problems.

Last edited by slowmover; 01-22-2019 at 06:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-24-2019)