View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #526 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
....I've long argued that the basic SUV and Crossover profile was better adapted to the aerodynamic template than classic coupes/sedans.
Where SUV's and CUV's they fail is with the roof racks, higher ground clearances, larger frontal areas, drag inducing wheel flares and the like.
I found your comparison intriguing as the Caliber roof is likely to yield better air attachment than the Elantra's, but other factors involved tip the scales.
Whatever aerodynamic advantages you note in Caliber roof lines & rear ends are always overwhelmed by the draggy Caliber blunt front, compared to Elantra front. Repeating, the wide gap between Caliber & Elantra coefficients of drag are mostly due to the front end differences. Its a bit like the coefficients of drag for bullet shapes. You can give a bullet a drag reducing rear end "boattail" shape to decrease down range velocity losses. But if the front of the bullet is already rounded, flat or hollowpoint, it will lose more velocity than pointed nose shapes.....with or without "boattail" shapes.
Your mention of big "Caliber" wheel flares was interesting. The Caliber EXTERIOR width is about the same as the Elantra's width, in part, due to the wheel flares. However, the Caliber passenger rear seat INTERIOR width is about 1 to 2 inches less than Elantra's rear seat. I've fit 3 adults in the Elantra rear seat easier than seating 3 adults in the Caliber rear seat. The rear seat width is one reason I traded the Caliber for the Elantra.

Last edited by litesong; 01-23-2019 at 06:53 PM..