View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Whatever allows you to spend the least to do the most (that is necessary).

I once dabbled in portable devices. For years, I have been a fan of netbooks.

The reasoning is: I don't *need* a phone that does everything. I eventually got a smartphone during my netbook phase, but always the cheapest I could buy that was reasonably durable (I could bundle the cost into my carrier charges). The netbook served as both home workstation and portable internet / working computer. I could transcribe during meetings and presscons, then do basic photo-processing at home.

But with the advent of ever-heavier Windows systems like 7 and 10, that's become a non-starter. I don't want an expensive portable because in my line of work, I may very possibly break or lose it on a work trip. I'd rather have something rugged and easy to replace. Cheap netbooks are nearly incapable of running Windows 10 at anything beyond snail pace, and the most recent ones I've bought are nearly unserviceable, with components bundled together. Used to be, I could pop it open myself to replace memory or a fried drive. Now, you have to take apart the frigging motherboard to reach the innards... and hope you don't snap a clip or tear out a fragile ribbon cable while doing so... because replacements cost nearly as much as the netbook. Not worth it.

(end rant)

-

As to your problem, a messenger bag, maybe, as opposed to a man purse? Gives you more storage flexibility? What you're talking about sounds like a one-shoulder backpack. Not sure they sell them in a size or shape suitable for a tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-25-2019)