View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Modified sine wave inverters are junk.
I've had 3 of them fail on me over the last ten years under moderate use. (Two of which my employer purchased.) Hoping that pure sine inverters are better engineered . . particularly since I just ordered a Goal Zero Yeti 1000. 1500W continuous should provide enough capacity for a day of keeping the fridge running.

I decided to go that route in basically building a standalone system for a shed I will be building in the spring. 400 watts of 12V portable panels should be enough to keep it going during normal use without leaving me dead out of power when I don't want to / can't run the generator during an outage.

I'm trying to essentially build a versatile backup system that could charge my car (10k generator), charge a separate battery, or be basically useful for camping and other light use.

Honestly, it's something my original PV installer rep advised me people are doing as an intermediate SHTF power lapse backup. I wasn't originally convinced, but the more I have done the math on it, the more it made sense to me short of building everything DIY and all of the hassles that go along with engineering it. (I had to figure what my time is really worth as part of that cost.)

If I can just find a relatively inexpensive larger propane tank at this point, I'll be pretty much set on that.