View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Have you looked at the charge difference between 120 and 240v power on the same charger?
Notice how 120v charging takes more than double the time to charge.
Why do you need a 10kw generator you can get evse units that oitput little as 8 amps.
Even my lowly converted Panasonic made granny charger will do about 2.9kw. A 7kw generator should be able to handle that no problem.
That's basically where I am at with it now. 6A maximum draw from my i3 on the lowest 120V charge setting should be no problem for even the smallest propane generator. (Looking at the Ryobi FWIW.) It would take 24 hours for a full charge of my car, but I wouldn't be needing anywhere near that range unless it was bug-out time. Not really planning for that scenario though!

The nice thing is that the Yeti provides some flexibility there with being able to charge by generator power and provide from the battery simultaneously. So my little 900W generator could conceivably be providing a real world 1500W sustained until the Yeti battery drained even if the Yeti can really only take about 400W sustained charge power. That's really probably only an hour of boosted output, but as attractive as 10kW sounds, it's clearly not practical.

EV use out of the picture, a few 12V solar panels and the Yeti should be all I need to keep the fridge and lights on unless the weather is absolutely horrible.