View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Awesome information! Thank you very much! I am really just concerned with visiting my clients that live down dirt roads, which are not plowed, but I feel that everyone up here wants to justify driving the biggest truck they can "afford."

Meanwhile, someone managed to flip their truck in downtown Show Low last week, speed limit: 35 MPH. I do not know what happened, but that seems far less likely if both parties had sedans.
There's nothing wrong with AWD (4WD) as long as you don't let it trick you into thinking it's less slick than it really is.

If the roads aren't plowed, yet you live where it snows enough that the other roads are plowed, that could merit something that drives all 4 wheels and has a high ground clearance. However, usually if it's a public road, the government won't let the snow build up to the point that any car with good tires can't pass through. But if it's a private road, then it's up to the road's owner to decide what to do with it.

If it is a private road problem, maybe you could ask your clients who would rather buy an SUV or Pickup to go get you at the end of their long driveways since they don't plow them.

Higher ground clearance means higher center of gravity. One day going through Texas through an ice storm on a 6 lane highway everyone was creeping at 25mph or less in the right two lanes. But every once in a while someone in a pickup or SUV would go flying by. Nearly every last one was flipped over down the road. When I drive something taller I go even slower on the highway. The height makes the vehicle less stable. Any acceleration, deceleration or cornering causes more downward pressure to be lifted off of two wheels an placed on the other two at a rate much higher in taller vehicles, making it much easier to lose control.