View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Another thing is product life. Phones tend to have shorter lives due to support cut-off. That's what really got me mad about my first and only Android. In less than a year after it came out it was already outdated and there was one main app I couldn't update or reinstall soon afterward. The first iPad was the same way. Now, they have improved over the years. But not to the extent of a laptop. You can get 10 years or more of support for a laptop.
Yeah, but outdated doesn't mean unusable. I'm still rocking a Galaxy S5, going on 4 1/2 years now. It came with Android Kit Kat, and updated twice to Marshmallow. That OS is now unsupported, but I can't bring myself to buy a new phone when this one is working just fine.

My biggest gripe about phones now is the non-replaceable battery. I have two extra batteries for my S5, but there aren't any comparable phones now with removable batteries. So, I'll be locking myself into a 2-3 year replacement interval as the battery degrades. And on top of that, you can't get cheap smartphones anymore; the S5 was $100 with a service contract. Now, you pay full price but they try and make you feel better about it by financing over 24 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (01-27-2019)