Thread: 2017 Kia Forte5
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
ISV-2K8Rondo
EcoModding Lurker

Telescope Transporter - '17 Kia Forte 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
3) I dunno how big they are inside but the fuel economy numbers look a little underwhelming on paper. Civic hatch is rated 5mpg better in both city and highway, and it's a bigger car with a lot more horsepower. Having never sat in one it wouldn't have been my first choice based on that.

EDIT: I don't mean to disparage your car. Rather, these were just completely under my radar, and nothing drew my attention to them. I had to look up what they look like. 33mpg in winter is certainly not bad, and you might be looking at cresting 40 when the weather warms up perhaps? Would love some interior pictures and subjective thoughts on the car.
No offense taken. It's a fair point. I had thought about either the Civic or Corolla hatchback. Actually, I'd have preferred both to the Forte5.

Why didn't I get either of the other two? I had to buy a car at a time that wasn't of my choosing, having totaled the Rondo in a deer collision. And I hate, HAAAAATE debt. So my parameters for buying the car were (a) 100% down, (b) $0/month, (c) reasonably fuel-efficient vehicle, and (d) <20,000 miles, if possible.

Hondas and Toyotas simply have insanely-high resale values, and for what I was looking for, I'd have to get a car with too many miles on them if I wanted to avoid a car payment. Kias, on the other hand, typically depreciate quicker, and someone was kind enough to absorb the initial depreciation hit on the Forte5 to put it within reach of scratching a check and being done with it.

Maybe it's because I'm half-Italian by blood, or I've seen too many mob flicks. But there's something about financial obligations that steers me away from them. I still don't consider myself a "home owner" because I still have a mortgage.

Yeah, I'm that paranoid about debt.

--Phil