View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Joenavy85
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
The 2 dirtiest parts of the engine bay, from my experience at least, comes from the gap between the front bumper cover and the radiator being open (some manufactures have this open, some don't) as well as the area from the front bumper cover to the frame crossmember being uncovered (again, some manufactures cover this already). My wifes old car was pretty dirty under there, a good majority of the air through the lower grill would easily just get redirected under the car. I used coroplast to make ducting from the grill opening to the sides and bottom of the radiator and blocked off half of the opening and saw a noticable improvement. I then made an under tray/belly pan from the bumper to the crossmember and on the interstate I was getting about 6 mpg more than before, and that was with 4 adults in the car. With the belly pan going back/down to the crossmember there should have been plenty of room for the air to get out, if anything I think it may have even created a low pressure area to help draw air out of the engine compartment.