View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I did not know this, do you have an article/link explaining the rational behind it?
TFLtruck does YouTube comparisons and they bought a long term 2019 rebel test truck. Then it did the worst compared to its EPA rating during testing compared to the Ford and Chevy. Viewers pointed out the Rebel test truck although bigger tires, higher ride height, different gearing, had the exact same EPA rating as a basic truck (no off road package) with the same 5.7 Etorque motor. So obviously the EPA doesnt seem to care about gearing, tire packages, cab size, etc. FCA gets to only do 6 tests, one V6, one 5.7, one 5.7 with Etorque one 2wd one 4wd of each of those. They might really have 30+ possible combos that will certainly effect MPG but they get to use the best possible.

The first place I noticed this was the Ford Flex vs its Lincoln counterpart. Obviously very different bodies with the same powertain and platform. Ford got to use the same numbers for both cars so they don't have to compete with themselves basicslly. You can't tell me these two cars have the exact same drag but Ford does.