View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Are you talking about the use of a bigger/lower rear differential (commonly the lowest point) or actual body and suspension lifts?

Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift
At least on a Ram 1500 the rear suspension is the same, 2wd or 4wd, the front suspension although independant on both 2wd and 4wd, the 2wd had a crossmember that doesn't drop as much and no transfer case hanging down a few inches. On the 2500 and 3500 Rams with a solid front axle, that front pumpkin is much lower than the rear and non existant on a 2wd.

I had a 2003 Ram 1500 2wd and it was much lower in the front than it's 4wd brothers although it may have had more ground clearance (probably not back then), the roof was a few inches lower than a 4wd. They may have tried to eliminate that raked look my 2003 had but i bet they do it by raising the front not lowering the back. IMO having the tailgate high and the nose low is a better aero setup than the nose and tailgate high although the best of all is nose and tailgate low. The suspension low points, hence ground clearance, probably don't move at all except when dire diameter is changed.

Last edited by Hersbird; 01-31-2019 at 05:16 PM..