View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #4751 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Sur
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I like to fact check things often (the times i did not but posted from memory I sometimes - and rightly - have been corrected if it could not be proven after all). Referencing your sources makes it easy to fact check or study the details of the matter at hand.

Anthony Watts is not a shill, as far as I can tell. He openly gives a forum to Chuck DeVore who according to Fox News is a vice president with the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

Academically sound research, building a case for the forgotten morals of fossil fuels while going against scientific consensus.
Well have I ever. Academically sound research IS science. And what DeVore gets paid for by Chevron and ExxonMobil is not.

There is nothing wrong with taking a skeptical view of climate research if that view is underpinned by facts, relevant data or reasonable explanations. But his article does not reveal sources (all links point to Fox news' own Energy root page); it does however insult and insinuate in almost every sentence.

Those who are in the right do what's right. If you can expose faults with facts, that's all you need.
Insult is the weapon of those who cannot stave their opinions with facts. It says nothing about the target.

Of course DeVore was not the only one reporting about Georgetown. This or this for instance are much more balanced views.

What is true in Georgetown?
The base electricity rate will rise by $4.80, while a kWh is 2 to 3 cents up on the average free market price in Texas, depending on usage. To arrive at the $1200 extra DeVore projects the average Georgetown home needs to use about 57,000 kWh yearly.
Guess what - they don't.
Georgetown does have a problem, but it is nothing like Fox news and Exxon want you to believe.
It sounds like they put up some solar panels with battery backup and started charging people 12 cents per kwh.
They aren't any where close to generating all their own electricity. They just pay more to buy "renewable feel good power" from the utility. So it's a little renewable power mixed in there, but its fully backed up by fossil fuel power. In the middle of the night when nearly all the wind turbines have stopped they're using coal fired power.
Hey if that makes you sleep well at night, go for it.
My base rate is 7 cents. I'll pass on paying more for feel good power.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 01-31-2019 at 09:51 PM..