View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #4846 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Some things need a bottom up grass roots approach some things need big top top down solutions.
Asking people to pay to fix global warming is like pouring roundup on the grass roots, so that's obviously not going to work. Time for the nuclear option.
I just finished reading 'The Dragons of Eden' by Carl Sagan.
In the book,he goes into quite a bit of neuroscience , the evolution of our brain,and how we're kinda wired for responses from certain environmental situations.
It's a battle between fight or flight of the right-hemisphere,and critical analytic reasoning of the left-hemisphere,fought across the corpus callosum.
If nuclear competed with your competing energy provider,then films like 'The China Syndrome and Silkwood and news of 3-Mile Island,Diablo Canyon,and Chernobyl might do the trick,as far as getting folks to distance them selves from nuclear power.
The emotional power could be compelling.
We do have a rather artful public relations/advertising/marketing industry,which is a cousin to a full-blown social-engineering laboratory.These artisanal word crafters are pretty good at compelling people to behave in ways beneficial to a client.
If there was a relentless,concerted,nationwide public relations campaign for an increase in nuclear power do you think they could ultimately sell the idea?
It looks like far more people have been killed in fossil-fuel-related events than nuclear could ever imagine.If the actual numbers were presented to the general public,I wonder if they'd have an epiphany?
I'm no Pollyanna,and I do have some sense of some of the challenges to 'safe' nuclear power,but It would be an interesting experiment just to see what a promotion might provoke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (02-06-2019), redpoint5 (02-06-2019)