View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I used to be the general manager for a municipal utilities. We had 2 Fairbanks Morse OP motors they were 24 piston 12 cylinder. Had 8 1/8" bore and 12" stroke on each crankshaft. The bottom piston uncovered the intake ports and the top piston had the exhaust ports. It ran off of a big roots supercharger to get it going The exhaust port opened a bit before the intake to start the scavenging process. Once going a turbocharger would come on and pressurize the intake of the Roots letting it freewheel reducing drag.

The pistons were dished making a nearly perfect spherical initial combustion chamber.

The motors were put in in 1960 and by the time I was there in the early 80's they had been run down. Our municipality was in a buying group and the group paid us to keep the group usage lower during peak times. I took our board up to Beloit Wisconsin to tour the fairbanks factory to discuss the rebuild and to tour the factory. The OP motor was made without castings. It was also used in a 9 cyl supercharged only version for nuclear submarines.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787