View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
clarknova
EcoModding Lurker

Merc - '97 Mercedes V230 TD Fashion
I installed a Webasto in my Merc diesel just over a year ago. I love it. Note that Webasto advertises coolant heaters as well as cabin heaters on their web site. I'm only familiar with the coolant heater, which is the one you pictured in this thread. I don't know if the cabin heaters require some sort of liquid for heat transfer, which seems to me would be a bit of a challenge in an all-electric vehicle.

Also be aware that the coolant heater uses something like 2.3 amps to run, which is less than you would consume running the electric heater, but not nothing.

One more consideration is where you mount your combustion air intake. When I drove bus our mechanic said once that most or all of the work he had to do on the Webasto units on the buses was the result of running the unit while driving, which resulting in dust contamination in the combustion air. I sometimes drive my car with the Webasto on, but I was careful to install it in a location where it would pick up minimal dust and gravel. Plus I don't drive on gravel much; very little compared to a rural school bus.

I can't post the link to more info on my install, but if you search my post history on benzworld you'll find it quick.