View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
With my 5-speeds I'm always skip shifting, like 1-3-5. I would like to only have the 1-3-5 gears and throw 2-4 away and save the internal trans losses.
This long 6 year inactive thread considered the pros & cons of extra geared transmissions. In general, I agree with Frank Lee, whether transmissions are automatic, CVT, DCT, or manual. Since this thread's last post, the disastrous CVT, DCT, & 9 & 10 speed automatic repair follies for so many customers, have blasted to bits the desire to save gasoline money, while giving ten(20?) times more money to transmission mechanics. What.... only Toyota probably "succeeded" with their high MPG auto transmissions. Other brands?
At their best, these automatic transmissions MAY have gotten similar MPG to manual transmissions, but only if drivers used automatic transmissions in ways most auto transmission drivers would not.
I have had a CVT transmission in the past, & presently we have two Elantras, one 6-speed manual, & one 6-speed automatic. I used the CVT to deliver the same & better MPG than other alternative 5-speed manual transmission drivers for the brand. As to our Elantras, I have worked hard to get good MPG from both, which are similar. Under certain conditions tho, the manual gains more MPG than the automatic.
Anyhow, 3 of our 4 cars have manual transmissions (oh, yeah....4, 5 & two 6-speeds).

Last edited by litesong; 02-19-2019 at 03:03 PM..