View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #160 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Powdercoating would be great, but I don't know if I can justify the expense. Isn't it like $280 for a set of 14" rims generally?

On the other hand, I'm finally starting to figure out how to hypermile through the constantly hilly terrain here in Virginia. Most of my driving is the weekly 3.7 miles to church and back - about 1 mile of highway and 2.7 miles of stop-n-go, with many hills and pretty much nothing flat. Broke over 60 MPG for the first time today on that trip -- 65 MPG on the way there and 64 MPG on the way back. It's pretty much futile to try to get the engine warmed up, so my key is to just not run the engine as much as possible. The entire route is basically either uphill or downhill, so I'm either climbing a hill at 25-50 MPG or coasting down a hill with the engine off. EOC to all lights. Also killing the engine whenever I approach a light to make a turn, and restarting the engine after completing the turn -- always killing the engine before entering the intersection, not in the middle of the intersection. Hoping to break over 70 MPG for that trip when the weather warms and I perfect my driving style for it. Temps were only 33 degrees here for the drive. IMA still disabled.

On my few other drives the Insight is easily maintaining 80-125 MPG on the "flats", depending on whether they're slightly inclined or slightly declined. Apparently flat roads don't exist here.

If I was an extreme die-hard I'd buy a bike to go to and from church in, but considering I've barely used more than a dollar of gas in 5 weeks, I'll give myself the luxury of driving. Plus, it's pretty much just cold, rainy, and wet here, and who wants to bike in that when driving comes down to a meager $0.04/day?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)