View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
A Mirage is a newer cheap fuel efficient option
Prii have come down in price and seat the whole family
A classic Insight can’t be beat on mpgs
Older used Volts start at $6000

Also that Buick of yours should turn high 20’s low 30’s highway
Maybe a manual transaxle swap would be a better option than a 1980’s Diesel
I'd love to put a manual in it. I don't think there's one that fits though? This is my first automatic in 7 years, and it's driving me crazy only having two pedals.

As for a hybrid: I live in the frozen wastelands of ND (it got above 0 degrees in sunlight today for the first time in nearly 40 days, and we've seen several days of -65 windchills), so I'm hesitant to trust a battery in that cold. I've also seen the damage on of those big Lithium batteries can do if it fails the right (wrong?) way.

Call me paranoid, but I'll stick with full internal combustion drive until the hybrids have been proven out more. Plus I usually run $1000 or less cars, and hybrid batteries alone are 3-4x that budget.

Most likely plan is going to switch to a little four-banger with a 5-speed. That's what I wanted in the first place but the wife pushed for a car we could all fit in (even though she has a minivan). When I did the math on what we could save a month if I could get a car to hit 40 MPG I think I persuaded her otherwise though.