View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
The great increase in transmission gears started with small 65HP economy cars of the latter 70's & 80's, so they had a chance to keep up with "real" cars. Those with 5-speed manual trannies, I viewed with much envy.
Even before WWII, American cars often had fewer gears than some of their European counterparts. Sure there were some exceptions such as the Ford Prefect which retained the 3-speed while the competition was already switching to 4-speeds.

Quote:
But that didn't keep me from skipping gears with my 4-speed manual. I love turning my manual transmission into half an auto tranny by skipping gears in a 5-speed. With little traffic & accommodating terrain, my 6-speed manual Elantra gets the 1-3-6 or 2-4-6 shuffle. Its BETTER than half an auto tranny.
Skip-shifting, or no shifting at all depending on how accomodating the terrain would be, is another long-time American tradition. No wonder engines such as Chrysler's flathead-six had a long life in the market, since they already got their peak torque just a little above idle.