View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
SuperTrooper
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
I don't think we should get too excited, technology wise, about this new Honda. Honda is married to the IMA concept of hybrid, so don't expect anything with an "electric only" mode. I just came across this article:

Green Car Congress: Honda Provides Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Quote:
In addition to weight reduction, Honda is targeting a significant cost reduction in Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) components that will result in what it characterizes as the most affordable hybrid vehicle to date. This dedicated hybrid vehicle will be offered as a 5-door hatchback with seating for five passengers and will employ an exterior design concept that evokes the FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle. Along with the Civic Hybrid, the new vehicle will be produced at an expanded IMA production line at Honda’s Suzuka factory in Japan.

Taking advantage of reductions in the size of components, the battery and the internal processing unit will be positioned below the rear cargo area, allowing the hatchback design to provide adequate cargo space to meet the needs of a family. Additionally, various technologies, including a function to assist more fuel efficient driving, are being installed to achieve a further improvement of practical fuel efficiency.
Expect to see the Civic hybrid powertrain wrapped in a new body style to put the squeeze on the Prius. The Insight will have a few advantages over the Prius, but not in the fuel economy area:

1. It's new.

2. The MSRP is $3,500 less than a Prius. Although I'm sure some Honda dealers will add a surcharge.

3. The first 60,000 Insights will be eligible for the federal Hybrid Vehicle Tax Credit, which expired on the Prius long ago.

Sadly, I don't expect a manual tranny to be availble since it disappeared on the Civic hybrid after 2005.

Last edited by SuperTrooper; 09-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling