View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I wouldn't even say VW is the most aggressive at talking about making EVs, as Tesla talks about it much more. They sold 164 EVs in all of the US and are at 17th place with their sole vehicle; the e-Golf.

Perhaps they will become an EV powerhouse, but it's all talk for the moment, along with some court negotiated EV infrastructure building. I expect a company to SAY whatever it takes to get back into the good graces of their customers/government. It remains to be seen what they actually DO.

It's like Tesla saying they will build a $35k car; lots of talk, no evidence of making it happen. If they aren't making it now with federal subsidies still available, there's little chance they will make it happen in the future.
I was talking about established automakers that make 99.9% of the cars sold today. VW is the largest automaker in the world and makes 11% of the total cars. The top 5 automakers make half of the cars. The top 10 make 75%. If the big guys don't get on board there will be no EV revolution.

Tesla doesn't crack the top 25. They are a rounding error in the global automotive market.

The VW MEB platform will go into production, the money has already been spent.