View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
This is pretty overblown. Hybrid technology is 20 years old at this point, and Toyota's hybrids are typically a lot more reliable than non-hybrid vehicles. Toyota's planetary gear transmissions have no wear parts and if the fluid is changed regularly, they'll long outlast the rest of the vehicle. Taxi companies regularly put the better part of a million miles on them. Do that with any other automatic.

Your concerns about lithium batteries are well founded, but Toyota still uses NiMH in most of their cars for this very reason. It's a chemistry that's safe and reliable at subzero temperatures. Ask me how I know.

That said, the are plenty of good ICE-only choices. You could for instance get a first generation Civic hybrid and remove the hybrid battery, running it gas-only. They have no alternator and use EPS, which alone gives them a huge efficiency advantage. The gas engine is a reliable 1.3L lean burn 4 cylinder, and they come with either a CVT (not so good) or a very tall 5 speed manual. You can find these cars around here for under $1,000. They're good for 50-60mpg in good weather and very comfortable.
I might look into the Civic. I'm surprised they use NiMH as those things are a lot heavier and less energy dense than Lithium batteries.

I'll have to do more research on that transmission too. I found a 07 prius for $2700 the other day. More than I want to spend but if I can hit that 100 mark it might pay off.