View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #5196 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
green revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Unfortunately this is alo untrue. The green revolution utilized machinery and fertilizer and fossil slaves to do the work that humans and animal power used to do. It increased food production far beyond what is possible without it. Hence, the world population has doubled since 1970.
But it will inevitably suffer the correction of diminishing resources.
We're predicted to be at pre-1980 food production levels by 2050.In a world where we'll need double the food supply by 2050.
70% of recent gains in food production have been attributed solely to temperature and rainfall.Early and longer growing season.
Nitrogen fertilizer use is not being optimized,can actually hurt production,those who need it the most can't afford it,and without matching Phosphorous and water supplies,there's no guarantee of increased production.
Insects,weeds,bacteria,nematodes,and fungus are winning the battle against agrochemicals,GMOs,RNAi interventions,and are presenting new,resistant varieties,nearly as soon as new 'products' make it to the marketplace.
Increased atmospheric carbon dioxide is interfering with water transport within food plants themselves,leaving rice and wheat with reduced protein,iron,and zinc content,leaving some prone to anemia and malnutrition-related disease.
The global pollinator situation is a problem.One ferral hog in the wrong field can render an entire crop a failure if they defecate there.
Photosynthesis stops above 104-F.
In 2010,Russia lost 40% of it's wheat crop to a heat wave.Over 50,00 died across Europe that summer.The US is not immune.
I don't have my workbook with me,so I can't be more specific today.I'll have that with me next Saturday.