View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I bought a 7" Kindle HD for $30 to use as a diagnostic tool.

I'm on my 2nd iPhone. My employer pays for the phone and the global mobile plan. With my own money I would buy a Pixel but I'm happy to use a free iPhone.

As to Prius batteries I would just buy the OEM replacement battery. However, you are unlikely to need to replace it any time soon with such low mileage. They were 12 and 10 years old when I sold them and still got the same mileage as new. The Ni-MH batteries are rock-solid.
This statement is optimistic. Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2008 with 55K miles on it with a failed battery. Detailed testing of the modules showed significant deterioration of all 27 other modules.

Yesterday, I replaced the battery of a 2005 with 81K miles on it. I have not tested the pack yet.

Mileage of both vehicles was verified through dealer maintenance records. Both vehicles were in the dealership 2-4 times per year since they were sold. The 08 lived its life in Phoenix and the 05 lived its life in Tucson.

In my experience (about 250 batteries), battery failures are linked more to age than mileage.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-04-2019)