View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective, but most of the country isn't under clouds most of the time, and even on a comfortable 70°F day, full sunlight exposure can drive interior temperatures North of 100°F. In Phoenix, summer interior temperatures often exceed 140°F.

Do you see how a battery inside an air conditioned cabin could be affected by heat? I've seen battery temperatures as high as 145°F in the middle of summer following a bunch of short trips while sitting in the sun after each trip. Battery temperatures in excess of 120°F are very common in summer.

It's further complicated by the fact that the ENTIRE INTERIOR has to be cooled for the battery to benefit from an "air conditioned cabin." Most folks aim a vent at their face and often close off the other vents... or at least the far right one... that can cool the battery...

I can see it. Lots of short trips doesn't compute with my lifestyle but it does for lots of people. I knew people in Alabama that drove their kids 1/4 mile to school and drove between stores in a strip mall.

I drive about 1 hour to work. The car sits for 9 hours or so. I drive 1 hour home. (In the summer I drive for the first mile or so with the windows down and A/C on to cool down the car faster.) The weekends we drive someplace fun. According to OReGO our VW logged 15 trips last week. (OReGo is Oregon's fee per mile program. It records a trip any time the car starts)