View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #5260 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
So this is true. The question now becomes: Do we use our technological prowess to build a clean energy bridge to buy some time to gain sapience? To buy time to try to more humanely bend back down to sustainable permaculture populations? Or just pull the plug, let collapse happen, and accept whatever comes out the other side of the bottleneck?
According to the literature,the private sector,university labs,institutes,think tanks,government labs,and all the rest are running balls to the wall, in every discipline,trying to keep up with all the challenges we face.
While some scream for basic research,others work tirelessly to cut science funding as best they can.
They're trying to be equitable and protect everyone as best they can.There is though,tribalism,regionalism,nationalism going on,while we're facing global challenges.
Nobody has a clue as to how to deconstruct an economic mechanism predicated upon infinite growth.It's political poison.Not a lot of volunteers for sacrifice.
Historically,we wait for crisis,as this is what we evolved for.Distant threats don't get our attention the way Dancing with the Stars does.
I can't imagine plug-pulling.I don't think we're wired for that.
Our democracy was predicated upon an informed populace.We don't have one.
I don't think we can have one until the Supreme Court takes another look at the due process clause of the 14th-Amendment,or at least grants the Earth 'legal personhood' and qualifies it for protection under Public Law 94-103,94th Congress,An Act,Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 1975,October 4,1975,Sec.121 (a) (1) (A),so an advocacy group could represent it in court,as Hostess Cupcakes or a Wilson Basketball already qualifies.
We're playing with fire.I think we ought to act like it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-02-2019), RedDevil (03-04-2019)