View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 12:29 AM   #277 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The Grom has been very popular with younger people as an "cool" alternative to a scooter. The Super Cub is just a Grom in a more functional form. Still, I expect to see more Super Cubs on the back of RVs than running around with Gen Y or Z riders.
Even though I'd also expect to see more of them on the back of RVs, exactly because in the U.S. it might be more likely to take the role of a secondary (maybe tertiary) vehicle of a household, it still wouldn't surprise me if it turns into an option for people who would otherwise not even consider a motorcycle for some random short-distance errands. Anyway, I'm sure the right marketing approach can make it sell like hotcakes in regions such as California (because of the hipsters) and New York (because of the traffic and parking space availability, plus the immigrants from countries where not only a Cub-type motorcycle but 125cc ones in general are widely used for city commuting).

Quote:
The problem with both is they are legally (and functionally) limited to surface streets due the engine size. At 150cc they would be a fully functional motorcycle. At 125cc they are a scooter in a different form.
The 50cc one was clearly underpowered for American requirements, but the 125cc might fare reasonably. Sure it won't pull like a 14 with a Playboy, but I would expect that anyone seriously considering to get one already knows it.

Quote:
I'm considering buying one but I think the top speed is going to be too low for my purpose. I need 60 mph with a 200 lb rider.
Top speed seems to be just right for your purpose.