View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I had forgotten about diesel prices going up, good call on that one...

IF I chose an EV, it’d likely be a used Tesla, for nothing other than their Supercharger network which would allow me to charge the car without coming home (an 80 mile commute), but my credit is SHOT so I’m not even gonna try and finance a $35-40k car, and since I don’t own my home anyway I couldn’t install the home charger for any EV...

Ideally I’d like to get a car just new enough to allow me to keep driving for a few years and build a nest egg with which to try again to begin home ownership. I could cop out and find a manual 07 Ion sedan and transfer all my mods and keep going, but my car IS kinda small and kinda hard on fuel in commercial use...

Ideally I’d like to save up enough to buy a car outright but I’m willing to try and secure a small loan for the right car, but with bad credit I doubt I’d be able to finance too much, and my budget (rideshare income aside) is pretty tight...

Prii hold their value really well last I checked but I seen an 07 with just past a quarter million on it for $1995... I figured I’d pass...

If I’m stuck buying a midsize (automatic) car and can’t afford a Prius, I’d also like to find either a Chevy Malibu (08-12) or Saturn Aura (07-09) with the 2.4 and 4speed auto. I’m leery of the GM 6T70 as it had the famous 3-5-R waveplate issue... I don’t know how well the Ford Fusion of that era held up over time...

At the price point I’m shopping in, I’d either have to get lucky buying an automatic that had known reliability or get a manual, which so far has started a lot of conversations with riders, and usually gets compliments...

My last Ecotec project...