View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #280 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though I'd also expect to see more of them on the back of RVs, exactly because in the U.S. it might be more likely to take the role of a secondary (maybe tertiary) vehicle of a household, it still wouldn't surprise me if it turns into an option for people who would otherwise not even consider a motorcycle for some random short-distance errands. Anyway, I'm sure the right marketing approach can make it sell like hotcakes in regions such as California (because of the hipsters) and New York (because of the traffic and parking space availability, plus the immigrants from countries where not only a Cub-type motorcycle but 125cc ones in general are widely used for city commuting).

The 50cc one was clearly underpowered for American requirements, but the 125cc might fare reasonably. Sure it won't pull like a 14 with a Playboy, but I would expect that anyone seriously considering to get one already knows it.

Top speed seems to be just right for your purpose.

I've read that Honda is only importing 500 Super Cubs for 2019 so they don't seem to share your optimism.

Honda claims a top speed of 60 mph. However, that is likely with a 130 lb test rider, on flat ground, with a lot of room to reach that speed. I need to be able to accelerate to 55 mph, within the length of a freeway ramp and with a 200 lb rider.

The Cub seems perfect for city use on roads that are 45 mph or less. It is likely too slow for 55 mph freeways (with traffic moving at 65 mph). Any route I take to work has roads with a 55 mph speed limit.