View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
2016 Versa
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
@Metro MPG I wasn't too surprised by the computer being off. Knowing the size tank and where the hand was showing I was pretty sure I wasn't getting as good of mileage as it said. I wasn't able to find a set in stone mileage recommendation for changing the fluid. Some on the Nissan forums say every 60K miles, some say every 30K. I think I'm going to do about every 30K and hopefully that will keep it happy for years to come. The Nissan fluid is about $20-25 a quart but is still much cheaper than a new transmission. I'm also hoping to find out if anyone uses any of the aftermarket brands and if they've had any problems with it's use. I know Valvoline makes a fluid that's supposed to be compatible and is less than $10. a quart at Walmart. If I could find someone that's using that fluid and having good luck with it I'd use it and change it about every 15-20K. I've still got about 19K miles before it will be due at 30K so I've got a little time to do some research since I have other cars and this one will probably only be getting around 10K miles per year.

@JSH If I decide to put another cooler on it I think I'll probably put one on that's thermostatic controlled and doesn't allow the fluid to circulate through the cooler until it reaches about 180* so it doesn't keep the fluid extremely cold during the winter months.

Yesterday I drove it to church then to my mom's house for lunch then back home approximately 50 miles and it was clear that during the first few miles of warmup the computer was giving a lower MPG reading and the engine RPM's were up. It was also raining so the wet roads also played a factor. As of right now the computer is saying I'm getting 43.5 MPG but the high temperature was only in the mid to upper 30's here yesterday with wet roads.

Last edited by 2016 Versa; 03-04-2019 at 08:11 PM..