View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I take exception to ridesharing too. You're not both going to the same destination usually. It's a taxi service. I've got no sympathy for taxis because most of the prominent ones are cartels. Back around 2004 I was looking into starting a taxi service in Portland, but found out it's a cartel too. You've got to convince the existing taxi companies that you deserve to play their game, and somehow that's supported by law.

I'd love to see all areas become more self-regulating. Heck, I don't find anything wrong with seeking medical care from someone that has advertised their experience and qualifications accurately. For instance, I don't need a doctor to ask me "this one, or that one" when doing an eye exam for prescription lenses. Any monkey with the skills to operate the equipment will do. In fact, skip the monkey and just have a robot ask me and flip through the lenses.

This is the year 2000, and we've still got doctors looking at things and interpreting what they see rather than a machine looking and comparing to a database of millions of other images. I guarantee a machine can see at higher detail, taking more points of reference, and make a better prediction about what it's seeing.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!