View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 01:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Some parts of Episode Eight were stupid, but I liked the rest of it very much. I saw endless rants about things that did not seem important at all, almost like people feel the need to be offended by as many things as possible.

That sounds exhausting.

Weren't different people in charge of Episode Nine, so the story changed horses mid-stream?

I saw a post yesterday that the new "Star Trek" movies fixed everything wrong with the franchise.

How nice people in sanitariums have Internet access!
Manboy fanboys who are incensed that 'Rey', the supposed hero of the new movies, is a 'Mary Sue'... who has powers and abilities far beyond what she should have. Because of the Force, of course. And that the movie severed all ties with the original Jedi and Sith orders, and because Mark Hamill finally came back, only to kick the bucket in the end.

Apparently, because George Lucas lavished three entire movies on the origins of Darth Vader, every single Star Wars movie going forward has to link back to Vader and the Skywalker clan. And Luke is supposed to be a Big Goddamn Hero for some reason, even if his character arc plays out an awful lot like Obi Wan's or Yoda's, and is a realistic one, given what we know of the Jedi. Also, charges of 'Mary Sue' are laughable, considering both Anakin and Luke Skywalker were 'Mary Sues' as well.

To which they retort: "But everything is explained in the novelizations and extended universe and..." blah blah blah... if it's not on screen, it doesn't exist for 99.9% of the people who watch the movie.

So, yeah... movies were flawed, but watchable popcorn fare. I don't expect Star Wars to be anything else or anything deeper. But then again, I didn't spend forty years of my life collecting Star Wars Extended Universe novels, so I'm not as deeply down the rabbit hole as those guys