View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm closing on a house next month and will have around 0.75 acres of cleared land to mow for 6-7 months of the year. It's been years since I've needed to mow a lawn and a lot seems to have changed.

Looked at battery-powered mowers and unsurprisingly they have narrow tracks and look like Fisher Price toys. I doubt there are any which would be appropriate for a lawn as large as this.

Looked at corded. Some inexpensive models are as wide as 18-20". I could deal with a cord so long as the mower is reliable, but reviews on them tend to be pretty bad. Really, how do you mess up an electric mower?

I could do what people have been doing for decades - a small gasoline 2 stroke, mix oil and maintain. This isn't an attractive idea to me but the technology is solid.

Oooor I could get a couple of goats.

Anyone tried and have any recommendations for electric models? Is there an option I've missed?
I’d convert ACTUAL lawn size to square foot.

I HAVE had to cut .75-acre lawns as a teen. The lot was far larger. In Texas behind a 24” YAZOO that was 4-6/hours every week. (Our lawns are more like hedges than what anyone farther north would think of as “grass”).

Recommend you do a take-off of the property. The wrong mower size (capacity) is a penalty I wouldn’t risk.

Longevity is what matters in lawn equipment. Dry storage is mandatory.